Monday, December 19, 2011

Butternut Squash fries-healthy french fries substitute


Sunday night in our house in we have “grill night” that means steak and French fries, burgers and French fries  or oven roasted potatoes.   While I love French fries  I really do not like the calories or all of the fat in there.   I have substituted sweet potato fries in the past and they are very good.  Actually love them but while I am  clean eating and low carbing for a while I want to stay away from them.   I have a found a great substitution for potato fries cravings- Butternut squash fries. 

squash fries

Yes you heard that right butternut squash.  I found about butternut squash fries from Hungry Girl   I don’t even like butternut squash, but I absolutely loved these.    One cup of butternut squash is 63 calories.   
I am lazy so I don’t buy a whole squash my local supermarket sells they sliced up in chucks or a butternut squash already peeled.

Here is how I make them
 I will cut them into French fry shapes.
I will mist them with some olive oil and add a little bit of garlic salt
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, turning the fries over halfway through baking. Fries are done when they are starting to brown on the edges and become crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment